Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Web 2.0... The machine is us/ing us...

I really enjoyed watching this video. The first thing that I noticed was the music, which I know doesnt have much to do with the actual content, but it was still enjoyable. The video made some great points about the evolution of text and the internet. I think that someone who is about to enter the workforce needs to keep themselves up-to-date on this evolution. They need to be fluent in current technology and gadgets. Sharing information and doing business has changed to such a degree that businesses who do not use the internet seem to be in an "ice age." By "ice age" I mean that they dont seem to be progressing at all, they're stuck. To stop this from happening, businesses who have already been established need to adjust and conform to using new technology. Once employees have been trained to use new hardware, software, and gadgets, business will run more smoothly and efficiently. I have experienced this efficiency since I have come to college. My classes now require such extensive use of technology and the internet. I hear stories about how my parents used to write papers and I am SO GLAD that I can use a computer. Nowadays we use computers and the internet to do research, upload pictures, write the actual paper, and submit it to our teachers almost effortlessly. Gone are the days of typewriters, multiple copies and manual cutting and pasting. The video said "digital text is more flexible" and it truly is. With a few clicks of the mouse I can edit my entire paper.
The end of the video says that we will need to "rethink everything," and I believe that we will. Like I said before, businesses who do not jump on the technology bandwagon will be left behind. I feel confident that my knowledge of the internet and its usefulness will be a great asset when it comes time to enter the workforce.

No comments: