Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Response to cover letter advice

I found most of the pieces of advice about cover letters to be helpful. One of the points that I found most helpful was that the cover letter is read AFTER the resume, and is only read if the resume was impressive enough. This tells me that while both are essential in the application process, the resume is the first impression and therefor more important.

A second piece of advice that I did not know beforehand and found especially helpful was that the cover letter should be very specific to the company and the position that the person is applying for. Cover letters should seem very personal and should therefor not be used in "blanket coverage marketing."

One of the pieces of advice that I disagree with is that a P.S. should be added to the end of every cover letter. I think that items added with a post script are often overlooked or seen as less important than the information in the body of the cover letter. A P.S. also seems very informal, which may be inapropriate, depending on your audience.

No comments: